Get the Skills to Become a Licensed Phlebotomy Technician (CPT-1)!
Our Bay Area Phlebotomy Technician Course is Approved by the California Department of Public Health for CPT-1 Licensure
Phlebotomy Technicians work directly with patients; they are the human face of the laboratory. They are responsible for drawing blood samples from patients as instructed by physicians or other health care professionals.
- Collecting blood using needles
- Documentation and identification of samples
- Comforting nervous patients
- Safe handling and transport of samples
- Hygiene and infection control protocols
- and more
Becoming a Confident Phlebotomy Technician
The Phlebotomy Technician Course at BAMA Institute consists of two segments: a classroom segment and a clinical externship.
The classroom segment consists of 60 hours of both lectures and practical instruction delivered in a classroom setting. This segment is designed to provide both a theoretical foundation as well as hands-on training in venipuncture and skin puncture procedures.
During the Phlebotomy Technician Course you’ll learn:
- Basic anatomy and physiology with emphasis on the circulatory system
- Introduction to specimen collection
- Risk factors and complications
- Quality assurance in specimen collection
- Professional behavior and responsibilities in patient care settings
- Phlebotomy equipment and techniques
- Performing venipunctures and skin punctures
- …and more
The Phlebotomy Technician Course prepares you for two certifications:
- National Certification, Phlebotomy Technician (NCPT)
- California Certification, Certified Phlebotomy Technician (CPT-1 license)
Gain Real World Experience
Upon successful completion of the classroom segment, and after passing the national certification exam, students are assigned to a Clinical Externship at a local hospital, laboratory, or clinic. The State of California requires a minimum of 40 hours and 50 blood draws during Externship. BAMA Institute Externships last between 2-to-4 weeks.
State Approval for Licensing
Our Phlebotomy Program is approved by the State of California Department of Health Services – Laboratory Field Services Division (LFS).
Your Steps to Completing the Phlebotomy Technician Course
The Phlebotomy Technician Course takes three-to-five months to complete and consists of these steps:
- 60-hours Phlebotomy Class (two-weeks day class; three-weeks evening class; or five-weekends weekend class)
- National Center for Competency Testing (NCCT) Exam
- CPR Class (if needed)
- Externship Requirements and Practice Labs
- Clinical Externship
- Laboratory Field Services (LFS) application appointment for Certified Phlebotomy Technician I License (CPT-1)
Your Certified Phlebotomy Technician I License (CPT-1)
It takes up to 90-days for the California Department of Public Health to process your Certified Phlebotomy Technician I License (CPT-1) after your application. These 90-days are in addition to the three-to-five months it will take you to complete the school’s Phlebotomy Technician Course. Once you receive your Certified Phlebotomy Technician I License (CPT-1) in the mail, you may now work as a Phlebotomist in the state of California.
Get more information on our programs, class schedules, and financial aid options. Get more info now >>.
The Benefits of Training to Become a Phlebotomist
- As an experienced Phlebotomist you can work in a lab, hospital, doctor’s office, or outpatient clinic.
- In most cases, employers are looking to hire Phlebotomists with past or present medical experience and/or previous healthcare education.
- As a new Phlebotomist with no previous healthcare working experience and/or healthcare education you can get the Phlebotomy experience you need working as a Mobile Phlebotomist/Paramedical Examiner.
- The Bureau of Labor Statistics reports that Phlebotomy employment is projected to grow 25 percent from 2016 to 2026, much faster than the average for all occupations.
- With a California Certified Phlebotomy Technician I certificate (CPT-1) you can improve your chances of being accepted into nursing school or other healthcare programs.
- With only your National Phlebotomy Certification you have the flexibility to also pursue your career in another 47 U.S. states, with the addition of your CPT-1 license making you a more marketable Phlebotomist too.
Why Choose BAMA Institute for Your Phlebotomy Training?
BAMA Institute has been training Phlebotomy students in partnership with Bay Area healthcare employers since 2005. Our industry-experienced instructors have a proven track record of teaching students the essential skills they need to work as Phlebotomists at Bay Area healthcare employers such as One Medical Group, LabCorp, Quest Diagnostics, IMS Paramed, APPS-Portamedic, and many more. It’s BAMA Institute’s long-established credibility as a respected Phlebotomy training school, approved by the California Department of Public Health for CPT-1 Licensure, that gives students the confidence they’ll receive the best Phlebotomy training available.
“The knowledge and skills I learned at BAMA Institute have helped me tremendously with furthering my career. I obtained a position immediately upon completing the course. The staff was patient and helpful. The instructor was extremely knowledgeable and was able to devote a lot of time with students.” – Nicholas L., BAMA Graduate
We provide 60-hours of Phlebotomy classroom training and we offer 4-week clinical externships because we want to prepare our students for the demands of working as a Phlebotomist. We believe there shouldn’t be a short cut to working in the healthcare field. Hospitals and clinics (and their patients too) need to be assured that their Phlebotomists are trained to a level where they can step into their job and be ready to provide top quality patient healthcare from day one. Because of our desire to provide complete and comprehensive Phlebotomy training, BAMA Institute is justly recognized by Bay Area healthcare employers as a school that can be trusted to teach the top Phlebotomy talent they want to hire.
“We have worked with BAMA and are delighted with the talented employees we have been able to hire from their [Phlebotomy & Medical Assisting] programs. We have also been sending all of our administrative employees through the phlebotomy program at BAMA. We have chosen BAMA because of their dedication to excellence, their thorough training program and importantly their interest in making sure to keep service orientation as a high priority.” – Sidney Luu, District Phlebotomy Manager, One Medical Group
We pride ourselves in the knowledge that students come to BAMA Institute as single moms, career changers, veterans, the unemployed, under-employed, medical professionals, and recent high school graduates. We are privileged that for over 15-years students have made BAMA Institute their go-to-school for Phlebotomy training in the Bay Area. Our students quickly realize that from their first day in class to the day they go on externship that they will receive personalized hands-on training and classroom attention with additional coaching and lab practice hours if needed. At BAMA Institute, no student is left behind and our instructors work hard to ensure a culture of learning that is enjoyable, caring, and inclusive for everyone.
“If you’re looking for a fast and fun program that will change your life, check out BAMA Institute.” – Harpreet S., BAMA Graduate
As BAMA Institute is a local Bay Area school, not a national school, we have strong and established ties within the medical community that allow us to contribute in every way possible to our student’s success. Starting even before graduation, we partner with our students to give them an achievable path forward to becoming a working Phlebotomist. For example, BAMA Institute’s Career Services Department regularly arranges for Phlebotomy employers to visit our San Francisco and San Jose campuses to meet and interview our graduates for open job positions and also speak with our current students about the skills and attributes needed to work as a Phlebotomist. Although employment is not guaranteed, and no school should make that guarantee, BAMA Institute makes it a priority to provide our Phlebotomy graduates with the opportunity to develop long-lasting and upwardly-mobile careers within the Bay Area healthcare industry.
“I have good news to report. I’m now employed at Quest Diagnostics and IMS Paramed. I couldn’t have done it without Career Services and the employer spotlights you host. Thank you.” – Katherine L., BAMA Graduate.
Where Do BAMA Institute Graduates Work?
Reference laboratories, hospitals, blood banks, and many physician offices depend on phlebotomists to collect, process and transport quality samples from the patient to produce accurate laboratory results. A great testament to our success and quality of teaching is the large number of students who get hired at leading Bay Area medical facilities. BAMA Institute graduates have gone on to work at:
Is a Rewarding Career as a Phlebotomist Right For You? Get More Info…
If you’re interested in learning more about Phlebotomy careers and exploring whether BAMA Institute is right for you, fill out the form on this page to receive more information.
For immediate questions, call 415-508-5404
Curious about upcoming Phlebotomy classes?
GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.
Download the Bay Area Medical Academy KLASS APP!
Learn more about Bay Area Medical Academy by downloading the app today!